Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chilly Weather - Chilly Service

Just when you think people get it - they let you down. I am definately not a hotel snob - I know alot of people who are in the hotel business that are ruthless when it comes to their demands, but I am not one of them. I respect each employee, treat them with respect and always try to give them the benefit of the doubt. But not today!

I checked into the Great Western House (Malmaison Reading)in Reading, UK last night. Quite a unique hotel that was once a train station. Cool look, fun bar and restaurant and a front office staff that could CARE LESS!

We checked in late so the hotel was already at capacity and we were given a handicap room - no problem. The issue was the room was on the first floor over a disco - banging music until 3:00am. Lefty and I were there together so when we realized there was only one towel, we called down for another. Let's say we had to call several times to check on the towels, but in addition there was no iron - an ironing board but no iron. When we called down to ask for the iron, we were told that we they would send someone up to 'show us' where the iron is. Well to his surprise, when he came up, guess what - no iron. There was no apology, no empathy, just a short answer of "well I'll get you one". 40 minutes later, came back with no iron, said they are 'locked up' and I have no key so 'I will get you one first thing in the morning'.

So you've figured out by now that I have had it. No sleep all night, one towel for 2 people, no iron to have a crisp shirt in the morning and a wake up call that was only in a few hours.

The next morning when we checked out, we gave the feedback to the front office manager who proceeded to argue with us and tell us that we were too demanding. Too demanding, this is called service and we still had to pay. I am not stopping here - remember I teach customer service for a living - guess who my next prospect is?

No comments: